Friday, July 11, 2008

"Why"

Glenda echos my sentiments. Her's is journalism, mine is Finance. I recently explained to Ruby Why. Because the exposure here is more than i can ever get in Singapore. Yes, i sell software, i have nothing to be ashamed of. Like Glenda, i graduated 3 years ago, starry-eyed and wanting to work in Front office of top I-banks. Indeed, it was not meant to be. Lehman, DBS and Citi all saw me. I dont give up that aspiration. I am still working hard for it. I am humbled, knowing you have to put yourself before others in a harsh society. I learnt that people trust me easily, and that makes it easy for me to get appointments.
Almost 5 mths into the presales role, i have to rely on my contacts and charm to get around. I have a lot to learn in terms of managing people, and this job gives me the training ground I need, with limited risk. I only have my youth to lose. It is a challenge, and i relish challenges. If someone intends to live alone in a foreign country, i will definitely advise a thinking through. It is painful. But you grow and mature. I meet people and they will be the building blocks of my career as I do see myself in finance in the long run.

Why?July 3rd, 2008 by glenda-chong
I guess the most pressing question is why I decided to transfer to Shanghai to be a correspondent. Upon graduation from Boston University, like every idealist fresh graduate, I thought I could be the next Peter Jennings or Tom Brokow. But as things always turn out, that was not meant to be. You have to work very hard to achieve what you truly want. I waited on tables in New York at a restaurant, and I realize that I can multi-task rather well without being distracted. Plus, surviving on tips alone and relying on the charity of friends, makes you a humble person.
And after almost 8 years of anchoring, I thought I’d should do field reporting while I am still young. So I hurdled, somersaulted and after a lot of convincing of my bosses, I applied for the Shanghai posting. Correspondent positions, like anchoring, don’t avail themselves very easily. Once you make a name for yourself, you hardly want to relinquish.
I am still young and healthy so what better time than now to run around getting stories, relocating to a new country where I get to challenge myself. It’s the perfect opportunity.
I love challenges and this is the perfect challenge for me. My friends tell me I am very fortunate to have known at an early age that I wanted to be a journalist. And after 10 years in the industry, I am still in love with journalism. There are so many responsibilities which forces you to learn other things besides just reporting. I also have to learn accounts, administrative work and managing staff.
Please make no mistake, I love anchoring and will eventually go back to anchoring, but for now I need to scratch this itch first.

1 comment:

nutcraze said...

"If someone intends to live alone in a foreign country, i will definitely advise a thinking through. It is painful. But you grow and mature."

So very true indeed.. :P

Post a Comment