14th March 15, 2005 (Tuesday)
I arrived in Vienna on 18th Feb. Today is 14th March. Reality check. 4 days to a month that I have been away. Finally, I had to do my budget. And I am very glad to say I have been on track with my initial rough budget, and am able to come up with a more detailed one.
So just to keep track, and give you an idea on my expenditure, here goes! Quite modest I must say. I
- Spent 750 € in expenses by 20 Mar (including rent on Feb & Mar 05)
- Spending 350 € Eastern Europe trip from 21 Mar – 3 Apr 05
- Spending 600 € on Final Trip in June – Jul 05
Mom and dad: Not to worry, I think due to the unexpected amount of research allowance, I will definitely have excess money. But I will be frugal. I have been. Only spent an average of 8 € a day from Day 1 till now on food and fun! Quite amazing right? I mean after all the parties and going out. Okay, also because beer, and liquor is really cheap here, and I’ve been cooking my pasta and pizza, and bread for breakfast. But I am not starving or under-nutritioned – coz my friends cook, and my landlady cooks, and I cook, and eat out enough to be healthy. And there’s milk and apples and chocolates - which I eat everyday. I think I grew a bit fatter.
Okay, I am feeling great and more recharged after the trip to Salzburg! It is a bustling city, and is second in terms of tourism next to Vienna. Graz pales in comparison. Salzburg screams Mozart. Everywhere you can find Mozart balls. Haha Yes. His Balls. See! See! (Above)
Things we did at Salzburg. 4 hr train complicated train ride from Graz. (20 € one way)
- Angeline & myself (both self-declared bad-direction-lasses) walked from Hauptbahnhof (Main train station) in Salzburg to Yoho International Youth Hostel (followed the trusty lonely planet guide). Amazing hostel, with very, very friendly English speaking reception staff. Stayed in the cheapest dorm, and shared the room with 6 other girls. 16 € for a night’s stay, a 6min shower and breakfast (Austria bread, butter, honey and tea). I really liked it. Great clean environment!
- Mozart’s Birthplace and Mozart’s amazingly huge residence. A music illiterate, I was greatly enriched by the life of Wolfgang Mozart (his musical talent and short 36 yrs of his life), his dad Leopald’s sheer business-mindedness, Salzburg architecture, musical instruments and also clothes and lifestyle of nobility in the 18th century.
- Schloss Mirabell. Built by worldly prime-archbishop Wolf Dietrich for his mistress in 1606, its not-so-attractive-gardens-in-winter were featured in The Sound of Music.
- Dom (Cathedral) – there are tons of ornate and beautifully painted churches around Europe. What is special is in this church that there are three huge bronze doors in front symbolizing hope faith hope and charity. And I am still awed by the gorgeous paintings on the ceiling and the tall skylight that seeming reaches to the heavens. I love the intricately carved arches, and the sheer magnificence of the churches!
- Had dinner at Maredo – had steak with wedges and garlic bread and orange juice. After which we went to the Irish Pub for drinks.
- St Peter’s Cemetery, shadowed by pines and weeping willows, is the very gorgeous resting place of Salzburg’s noblest families. This cemetery houses the “Catacombs” – which used to be called hermitages. Hermits used to live in this cave, and there is a very small trapdoor, which they climbed up the steep route to reach this secret place. It is said to be one of the earliest Christian prayer sites in Europe. But now, leading to the cave of the catacombs are 88 steps. There is a very Christian and spiritual feel of the living and the dead. One section is the tombs for the hermits, who were persecuted, and another section is a small church. There are 6 semi circles carved into the cave for priests to sit at during mass. It is facing the door which lets the sunlight in.
Salzburger Museum. A showcase of old musical instruments, and antique toys, and cameras!
- Visited The Fortress of Salzburg (Festung Hohensalzburg). Built in 1077 by Archbishop Gerhard, it is the largest fully preserved fortress in Central Europe. It is said to be richly decorated with treasures and designs from hundreds years of existence, including a tower, torture chambers and impressive state rooms. We didn’t have time to climb the tower, nor the cash to take the damn cable car up. So we made our way halfway. It was nice enough to say we have climbed (albeit halfway) the great fortress!
- We also got lost on the way back. So instead of hitting Graz at 9pm, we got back two hours late. Don’t ask – its something about taking the wrong train. Blame it on the unclear train directions. It’s not us. I swear.
Lovely right? I also think so. It was a great trip for Angeline and me. Learnt about how it is to travel in Europe. I am all smiles.
**And Ash, if you are reading this – I’ve got photos on vintage cameras for you – took it at the museum! Hey, have a great one in Korean alright? You take care.
No comments:
Post a Comment